The Bloomberg School’s New Five-Year Strategic Plan
A plan to shape the future of our School and our field.
After months of collaborative input and planning, the Bloomberg School rolled out a strategic plan in early October to chart the School’s next five years. “The Power of Public Health” relies on five overarching themes: Education, Science, Partnerships, People and Advocacy. Within each theme are specific objectives that serve as a road map for advancing the School’s priorities.
“Our strategic plan will guide us in unleashing the power of public health to address the greatest challenges facing our communities here at home and around the world,” says Dean Ellen J. MacKenzie, PhD ’79, ScM ’75.
Read more about our vision for the future at jhsph.edu/strategic-plan.
The Power of Education
Educate leaders who can advance the public’s health
- Train students in rigor, responsibility and reproducibility in science, tenets of the School’s R3 Graduate Science Initiative.
- Ensure students have knowledge and skills to work across sectors and tackle multifaceted problems.
- Extend the reach and accessibility of our education.
- Make our education affordable to ensure a broad and inclusive community of learners.
The Power of Science
Incubate, accelerate and translate groundbreaking research
- Transform our research ecosystem to cultivate interdisciplinary collaborations and innovative approaches.
- Invest in HIBAR* research to make a measurable impact on new and emerging public health challenges.
- Translate our discoveries and scholarship into real-world, scalable solutions.
*Highly Integrated Basic and Responsive
The Power of Partnerships
Partner to protect health and advance equity and social justice, with a special commitment to Baltimore
- Expand our efforts to improve health and well-being in Baltimore.
- Enhance our cross-sector collaborations and systems-level assessments and actions.
- Participate in joint learning and action with local community health leaders and the Bloomberg School’s partners from around the world.
The Power of People
Fuel creativity and ensure excellence by cultivating a diverse, inclusive and nurturing environment
- Advance a climate of inclusion for all staff, students, faculty and visitors.
- Recruit and retain students, faculty, staff and leadership with diverse backgrounds.
- Promote wellness and opportunity for all faculty, students and staff in an inclusive environment.
The Power of Advocacy
Communicate and advocate for the value of public health
- Show how the science and practice of public health impacts lives every day.
- Convene inclusive and open discourse about major public health issues.
- Communicate the impact of our research and advocate for evidence-informed solutions that will make a difference.